Dentapreg® PINPosts are ideal for a minimally-invasive biomimetic post and core of endodontically treated teeth.
Rationale for Using Dentapreg® PINPosts
There has been a misconception that dental posts play an important role in strengthening the teeth in which they are placed. To the contrary, dental research has shown that posts offer no reinforcement benefit and, in fact, can actually weaken teeth and place them at higher risk for root canal fracture. The only true function of a post should be to aid in helping to anchor a dental core to a tooth.
Conventional Post (prefabricated metal or glass fiber posts)
- When using a conventional post, it is necessary to pre-drill the root canal with a calibrated drill (a drill with the same diameter as the post used).
- This pre-drilling leads to the weakening of the root canal by up to 60% and also requires removing a lot of healthy tissue from the crown.
- Conventional posts are rigid, which means they cannot be bent. When placing them into a curved root canal, it is necessary to make a straight preparation of the canal. This additional drilling increases the risk of root canal perforation.
- A rigid conventional post alters the biomechanics of the tooth. Since the interior of a healthy tooth is hollow, stress is normally transferred along the outer walls of the root canal and subsequently through the periodontal ligament into the bone. After placing a conventional post, this is no longer the case: stress applied on a tooth goes through the post and directly into the center of the root canal which greatly increases the risk of a root canal fracture.
- When using Dentapreg® PINPost, it is not necessary to pre-drill the root canal. Before placing Dentapreg® PINPost, a NiTi file is used to remove the excess gutta-percha and to clean the interior walls of the root canal. The time needed for preparing the root canal before placing the post is reduced significantly and the root canal is not weakened.
- Dentapreg® PINPosts are firm, yet flexible and can therefore conform to the shape of the root canal. The risk of perforation of curved root canals is eliminated.
- The thin Dentapreg® PINPosts do not transfer the stress applied on a tooth into the center of the root canal. This significantly reduces the risk of a root canal fracture. Dentapreg® PINPost serves only as a retention of a crown, which is the only real function of a post. Its high modulus of elasticity in tension allows the tooth to withstand forces during mastication. Since more than one Dentapreg® PINPost is used in one root canal (usually 3-6), much larger retention area is achieved.